Saturday, June 4, 2016

Resume



BACKGROUND


WORK

My job history reflects my ability to take on a leadership role, assume responsibility, and to work with creativity and flexibility. I have strong communication, organization and business skills.

1998-2011 Spring Health Foods – Business Owner

I owned and ran a health food store in Invermere for 12 years. The business continues to thrive today under new ownership. I understand the challenges and rewards of running a business, and appreciate the pivotal role small business plays in a healthy community.

2008 – 2014 District of Invermere – Town Councilor

I served as councilor for the District of Invermere from November 2008 to November 2014. During those years, I was well-supported by the electorate. I have a solid understanding of many of the issues and concerns important in our region, and a working relationship with key decision makers. During my terms on council, I was particularly concerned with community sustainability, the environment, equality and inclusion, and accountability. I was closely involved in the development of Invermere’s Integrated Community Sustainability Plan, and then its integration with the Official Community Plan. In addition, I served as chair of Integrated Community Sustainability Plan Implementation Committee and the Fire Department Liaison Committee.

2013 – 2016 Evolve Fine Used Furniture – Business Partner

I am partner in a used furniture business, where I assist in marketing, bookkeeping and technology. We source and up-cycle or restore quality used furniture to re-sell. Our goal is to divert ‘waste’ which may otherwise end up in the landfill, and provide a creative, affordable, renewable option for furniture seekers.

EDUCATION

I believe education is an enjoyable, enriching, life-long process of learning and growing. It is also my belief that continuous learning maintains an open, dynamic mindset – an asset in the sometimes-stagnant world of politics and bureaucracy. Throughout my life, I have taken many opportunities to expand my knowledge, some formal, and some informal. I have participated in continuing education courses, online learning, workshops, lectures, and self-directed learning. I am an avid reader.

Sept 2014 – Present             Athabasca University
I am currently enrolled in the 4 year Bachelor of Arts in English through Athabasca University, an online institute. I am approximately halfway through the program. Athabasca University programs are designed to accommodate mature students who are in the workforce. I look forward to continuing with my education, even if it is one course at a time.

2013                                       University of Toronto Continuing Education
Completed four Creative Writing courses.

1997                                       University of Saskatchewan
Horticulture Certificate Distance Learning program


COMMUNITY

I look for opportunities to contribute to my community on a volunteer basis. I have been involved in numerous efforts, in varying capacities. I enjoy the chance to network with like-minded people, while putting my skills to work.

Access in the Community for Equality

From 2007 to 2014 I was chair of Access in the Community for Equality (A.C.E.), a non-profit group advocating for improved accessibility and inclusion in the Columbia Valley. During that time, A.C.E. completed several accessibility assessments to benefit local decision makers, procured and donated adaptive equipment to the community, hosted Rick Hansen’s 25th anniversary celebration in Invermere, and supported work to improve access in the community.

Slow Food Columbia Valley

In 2014, I was honoured to travel to Turin, Italy, to represent the Columbia Valley at Terra Madre, an international gathering of Slow Food proponents. The Slow Food movement encourages local economies based on food production, democratic access to good food, and the protection of traditional and indigenous food sources.  Recently, I was a member of the team that planned and hosted the Slow Food Canada Summit for 2016 - an extremely successful event that highlighted the food culture of the Columbia Valley to delegates from across Canada, the United States, and Italy.

My interest in healthy, nutritious, organic food has been a life-long pursuit. I believe that food security is an increasingly important consideration as our region moves towards a greener economy. Local and regional small-scale agriculture will help our communities provide meaningful work for our citizens, better nutrition for our population, and increased self-sufficiency for our communities. The Slow Food Movement is one important way to support these ideas.

In Addition...

I have also participated in numerous advisory panels and ad-hoc community groups.  They include:

·      East Kootenay Humanity Network since its inception in 2011, by assisting in planning and hosting events, participating in round-table discussions, and promoting the network in our region. In 2013 EKHN hosted internationally known anthropologist, author and speaker Wade Davis. The East Kootenay Humanity Network is a group of organizations in the East Kootenay interested in working together to promote ideas of inclusion, acceptance, and human rights.

·      Columbia Valley Community Foundation’s Vital Signs project advisory panel. Vital Signs is a current project to gather information about the quality of life in the Columbia Valley – its strengths, and where it needs to be improved. The results will be compiled and shared with decision-makers and funders, to help inform their processes. The advisory panel provides input and guidance to the project’s coordinator, based on our knowledge of, and experience in, the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment