Saturday, June 4, 2016

More About Me

I am pleased to confirm that I am seeking the nomination to run as New Democratic Party candidate in the provincial riding of Columbia River - Revelstoke. For many years, our riding has been well-represented by MLA Norm MacDonald. I would like to express my great respect for the integrity and commitment he has shown, and my appreciation for his years of service. I wish him the very best in his future work, and hope that, given the opportunity, I may follow in his footsteps as NDP MLA.

I am excited by the possibility of representing this extraordinary corner of the province, which I have called home for 18 years. Every day, I am astonished at the beauty of our mountains and valleys, lakes and rivers. Our natural heritage is a great resource, which will only increase in value as the world’s wild places diminish. This terrific asset must be protected for the benefit of future generations.

Our people are our greatest resource and they are as extraordinary as our land. Our people deserve clean air and water, access to education, first-rate healthcare, opportunities for well paying jobs, homes they can afford, and a social safety net if they need it. Above all, our people deserve a government committed to serving them. That is what I would like to do - serve the people and be a part of a provincial government that sees its role as providing the structures to support all people in their quest to succeed and thrive.  

I believe the Liberal government of British Columbia has forgotten its primary responsibility to its people, and has become an organization (like many others) that is focused on self-perpetuation. The New Democratic Party is rooted in individual responsibility, community cooperation, social justice, and equality. These are values that speak to me; values I can get behind.

I bring with me years of experience, in local government, advocacy, entrepreneurship and volunteerism. My life experiences are diverse, and I bring an awareness, empathy, and understanding of the unique challenges faced by our communities. My engagement in the community, through activism and entrepreneurship, has given me a desire to participate where I could be more effective, and motivated my choice to run for council. My six years in local office were filled with challenges, but also successes and a huge amount of learning. After two terms I chose to step back from public life to pursue an undergraduate degree. Now, away from public life for several years, I am looking for new opportunities to contribute in a way that agrees with my beliefs and passions. 


In all of my work, I place high value on honesty, integrity, and openness. I believe in collaboration and consensus building, and respect for others, regardless of their political persuasion. I feel that my experience in local government has prepared me for a role in provincial politics. The values of the BC NDP are in close alignment with my own, and I look forward to being a strong and effective representative for our region.

No comments:

Post a Comment