Sunday, June 19, 2016

Education, and Our Kids, Deserve to be a Top Priority

There is no doubt about the value public education has in our society. Our children are our future, and when we neglect them, we are neglecting the future of our province. This is one of the many reasons I'm running to be your next MLA. I want to work with John Horgan and the NDP because our team will put our kids back where they belong: front and centre. Public education is meant to be a province's priority. I get that, John Horgan gets that and the NDP get that. Let's invest in our future!

Everywhere I go in our our region, people are telling me that education has to be a priority not an afterthought for our provincial government. They are frustrated that classrooms don't have the resources needed so that every student can meet their full potential. And people are not impressed by the last minute election-oriented announcements that Christy Clark has been delivering this month. Our kids deserve better than this.

I couldn't agree more. My kids went to school during the years of BC Liberal chronic underfunding. I am so grateful every day that they had caring and amazing teachers who did so much with so little. If it weren't for them, my children wouldn't have gone on to graduate from university, as my son did just a few weeks ago. But relying on teachers to "just pull through" isn't sustainable for long. Our teachers and our kids need stability and consistent investment, not neglect and electioneering.

We've been calling for increased, stable funding for years. We have a plan to get schools seismically upgraded and retrofitted for energy-efficiency. We will work with teachers so that kids get the resources they need to learn. And you can count on me to be a strong voice at the table for our local schools and our kids.


One new Revelstoke NDP member told me, "Go to Victoria and tell them our schools way out here need help. Our kids deserve it." There is no question; I will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment